Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Appointing Power of Attorney- POA for sublet/rental of HDB flat

As Mr Taro and I would be renting out our HDB flat during our 2 years overseas period, we need to appoint a POA for the management of our property and related matters.

I was fortunate my ex-boss had a recommendation for her ex-colleague who charged me $200+GST for the solicitor's fees to lodge the copy of POA with the High Court in Singapore. My queries with several HDB agents revealed that solicitor's fees can range from $200 to $400.

The entire process was pretty straightforward. I was required to email scanned copies of our (owners) and my sister (my appointed POA) NRICs to the solicitor. We then headed down to the law firm for the lawyer to do stamping and his signature. The actual copy of POA and 2 certified true copies would be lodged with the High Court and would be ready for our collection within 2-3 days. And..so that's it!

The POA is valid for a period of 5 years.. The copy of POA must be furnished to the tenant and it is very important to bring along this document to your respective HDB branch during submission of the subletting application.

My personal thoughts on the POA would be it is extremely important to discuss and ultimately appoint someone you really trust AND someone who do not mind the additional hassle to manage your property and affairs when you are overseas. The POA should also be assigned to someone responsible, mature and firm enough to handle the tenant and property agent; as he/she needs to assist with the tenancy matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment