Sunday, November 16, 2014

Interesting #1 and #2- Life in sydney

Interesting #1
Two weeks back, we went to top up petrol for our recently purchased second hand car at Shell. I instantly noticed that people are doing DIY petrol top up and there are no petrol pump attendants at the petrol station! Call us noobs, but we are used to full service petrol stations in Singapore and we just kind of...What's going on?! Lol.

I quickly hurried out of the car and went to the guy in front who laughed and said "First time in Australia?". He was very kind to demonstrate the process which was pretty easy. Apparently, non self-service petrol kiosks are very common in Australia and well, we learnt something new that day!

I guess it got to do with the higher wages of Aussie workers which explains why the kiosks are majority non self-service.

Interesting #2
Our rented apartment has fire alarm detectors in each room and an intercom. A few days back...the fire alarm went off and it was the second time it occurred. The first time it happened was when we moved in only for a few days and it was 1.30am when it happened. It scared the wits out of me (I'm not sure about Mr. Taro) cos it was really loud and went on for 5-8 minutes.

Anyway, Mr Taro and I were mentioning that it must be a false fire alarm again. 10 minutes later, there was a knock on our door and there were firemen outside our unit! I was shocked beyond words lol because I caused the fire alarm with my shower earlier on. It turns out that the fire alarm detector was faulty which was rectified the next day, so fingers crossed it doesn't happen again!

No comments:

Post a Comment